Well, one thing you probably DO know about me is I am really, really terrible with sticking to a schedule. :/ I meant to write this post yesterday, and reserve today’s post for a first day of school highlight ONLY.
Oh, well. Now you get double the fun. ha!
5 things you didn’t know about me:
- I hate wearing shoes. Any time I can be, I am barefoot. When I used to run a lot, I got into barefoot running (a little). I liked it better than shoe-running, but I didn’t run outside enough (on a smooth surface) to be able to do it much. Now I’m lucky if I can just get myself to run, period, shoes or not. hashtag lazy.
- I’m from the South, and I don’t love sweet tea. I grew up drinking it, and loved it. I gave up sweet tea for Lent in 2010, and I’ve never liked it since. I remember thinking how happy I would be to get a tall glass of ice cold sweet tea on Easter. Nope. Turns out, I didn’t miss it at all. Once in a while I’ll feel like I am just craving a glass, so I’ll order one somewhere. I always end up asking for a glass of water!
- I tear up in church every Sunday, and I feel really stupid about it. I have been carrying a lot of stress and anxiety around, and in church I often cannot get through the hymns without a huge lump in my throat, and tears forming. I don’t think I could stomach just openly sobbing in church to let it out, though, so I usually just stop singing and enjoy the choir for a few seconds when this happens. Like, every Sunday.
- I don’t really know where I fit in, even at 34 years old.
- Gloomy, rainy days are my favorite. Or icy or snowy or whatever. Any day where it stays gloomy and overcast and I don’t have to leave my house or my pajamas is the absolute perfect day.
Back To School
Today my girls are back to school. I really can’t believe how fast (or boring) our summer was. We didn’t really do much of anything as far as traveling goes. I worked all summer so they experienced the kind of summers I had growing up… staying home, babysitting each other, watching too much tv, eating way too much frozen food, and counting down the days until school starts again so you have something to do.
Sophia is in 2nd grade this year and Olivia is a Freshman. It blows my mind that I am old enough to have a child in high school. It also blows my mind how much the 90’s fashion has come back in style, and Olivia is wearing clothes nearly identical to what I did when I was her age.
Back to school means back to bento, too. My favorite part of back to school, actually. When Olivia started first grade, I happened to find a website where the mom made the cutest lunches for her kid in a planetbox. I was pregnant with Sophia at the time and really trying to make Olivia feel special during the last couple of months of being an only child. So, I ordered the planetbox for her, and started making some lunches. My first lunches were really terrible looking back!
I ordered this Lunchbots Uno container in 2011. It is stainless steel and it has held up very well! I would love a new Lunchbots container (they’ve changed shape since I bought this one), but the one we have is in such great shape, I can’t justify buying a new one! They last forever.
When we lived in Savannah, I also used to bake constantly. Andy was in Iraq 8-9 months out of the year every year, and I was home alone with a newborn while Olivia was in school (until I started homeschooling her). So I started baking. I taught myself all kinds of things with the help of Joy of Baking and Youtube! Yesterday I spent hours baking sugar cookies and making royal icing and trying to remember how to decently frost a cookie. Pictured above are the results of my day, and while they’re not totally amazing, they’re pretty a-ok for the first day of school!
I will be really sad when Sophia is old enough that she doesn’t want a pretty lunch anymore. For now, though, I will cling tightly to what time I have left with a little mommy’s sweetheart before she morphs into an angsty tweenager. 😉
I woke up at 5:45 this morning. I am trying to get myself in the habit of waking up earlier so maybe eventually I’ll be that person who loves waking up before the sun. I don’t even have the goal set to wake up and work out anymore… I just want to wake up and find something to do for ME for a few minutes. I am going to try to be still and meditate or something. Maybe eventually a pre-sunrise yoga routine will strike. Who knows. Mostly I have to get up that early to wake Olivia up so she can curl her hair…. since she misplaced her alarm (not sure how you do that??).
Anyway, there’s our 1st day of school post! I can’t wait to hear how the girls’ days have gone. 🙂 I hope all of you are having a great “back to school” season!